Monday 14 November 2011

Hate Crimes


I found a quite disturbing story that I wanted to share with everyone. It is unfortunate how much abuse and assault that people with disabilities face. What people tell themselves in their heads to make it ok, I will never understand. What is even more unfortunate is that a lot of the time, it is someone that the person with the disability is supposed to trust who is doing the abusing.

This story involves a 27 year old woman, Gemma Hayter, who has a learning disability. She was beaten, forced to drink her own urine by a railway embankment and then stripped and left to die. This was done by her supposed ‘friends’. All three of the suspects from Rugby, England were sentenced to life in prison. 

I find it sad that this woman, who just wanted to be independent and not feel belittled because of her disability, had her life come to such a tragic ending. Unfortunately this abuse is not as hard to come by as some may think. According to the statistics that I found on the Disabled Women’s Network Ontario, 53% of women who had been disabled from birth had been abused. I think that is pretty scary. Comments? I will include a link to the story on Gemma, if anyone would like to read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment